Friday, May 8, 2009

"Here's your birthday cake, Mommy."


(Warning: another sappy post)
I was determined to clean my house today. Usually I spend all my time "straightening up" but today I needed to do that and actually clean. I went room by room putting things away in their proper places all the while trying to keep Brenden from making another mess. I got to the living room where he had his blocks out for the past 2 days. I was ready to vacuum but they were in the way. I asked Brenden to pick up the blocks and put them into the box. A few minutes later I see him playing with them and again I ask him to put them into the box. I go to clean something else and he now has the blocks all over the lid of the box. At this point I get annoyed with the fact that there are still blocks all over the floor (hindsight: they didn't all fit on the lid). I tell him again to "PUT THE BLOCKS IN THE BOX!" I resume doing whatever it was that I was doing. Now, the only thing left to do is vacuum and Brenden comes over to me with the lid full of blocks stacked on it and says,
"Here's your birthday cake, Mommy." I instantly say thank you and burst into tears followed by Brenden's reaction:
"Don't cry,Mommy"
"I sorry"
All of this coming out of a pouty lip and tears in his eyes. I tried to explain that Mommy isn't sad and that he didn't do anything wrong. He gave me a huge hug and sat in my lap for awhile. I felt terrible. He had been so good the whole time I cleaned the house and pushed him off to play alone. I needed that reminder from God that this age and time and place won't come around again. My dirty house will be the same dirty house tomorrow and probably the next day but my little guy won't be the same little guy tomorrow. Just another whack over the head for me again. I wonder if God's hand ever gets sore from all the times he has to whack me over the head?

2 comments:

Vicki said...

pretty sure i've already made it sore for Him!!

Tara said...

Love this, Janay. Thanks so much for the reminder!