Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Generations of Mothers


Hazel Lillian Heidenreich Winter, Mardell Elsa Winter Franke, Janay Lynn Guptill Brewer. Three hands, three women, three generations. Our family has always commented on each others hands. I don't know why. My Grandma, Hazel, always had long fingernails and polish on them. For many years there was a cigarette held loosely between them. Many times there was a needle, thread and plastic canvas in her hands making refrigerator magnets, kleenex box covers or saying to hang on the wall. My mom, Mardell, always has something going on with her hands too. If she isn't talking with them she's cutting someone's hair, making craft projects or cooking with them. Now, as the last generation of Heidenreich women, I think about what things have been passed down by using our hands. I continue on the craftiness, the cooking, talking with my hands and I am trying to add gardening to the list. The whole genetic make up can really be noticed when you look at our hands and what we do with them.

1 comment:

Tara said...

Janay! Is that your hand with the pearl bracelet? You have beautiful hands! Hand modeling? I say yes!

Big hugs,
Tara